Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Tuesday

Today we woke up late! I am trying to get up before the kids to prep for the day and meditate, however, baby called me back after 19 minutes! I still managed to reread the day's Fairy Tale and mentally prepare myself, but it is frustrating to get so little prep time. At least I am not trying to set up a chalk drawing yet! I did feel like my planning suffered though. I think that the sleeping in late, because I fell back to sleep - or resisted waking - led to a morning of resistance from the boys. For example, I had to hold Brother to emptying the dishwasher, his 1 real chore. And I had to really work to get us out the door for our walk and into circle. I think that Brother and I both have Choleric temperaments, so we do tend to clash a bit, but last week was so good! I was spoiled and was hoping that things were going to get a lot easier. I think I may have unrealistic expectations.

Meanwhile, after snack I read the books to Baby while Brother listened in. Today I switched out the January poem from Around The Year and inserted Little January by Winifred C. Marshall.

Little January
Tapped at my door today.
And said "Put on your Winter wraps,
And come outdoors to play"

Little January
Is always full of fun;
Today we coasted down the hill,
Until the set of sun

Little January,
Will stay a month with me
And we will have such jolly times-
Just come along and see.

So many Winter poems were so beautiful, but very snow heavy. We don't really get snow here, instead our winters are very grey and rainy. I am going to do more research for next week. Perhaps I can find a local poet so that it would be more appropriate for what we are experiencing.

This is Baby's reading list:

Little January
Gingerbread Baby by Jan Brett
In The Land Of Fairies by Daniela Drescher
Winter by Gerda Muller
Twas The Night Before Christmas by Clement Moore
The Tomten by Astrid Lingren
The Tomten and the Fox by Astrid Lindgren

Brother's Fairy Tale was a repeat of the Wolf and The Seven Kids from our Enki Fairy Tales book. Again it was for the younger Kindergartner. Brother really enjoyed it! He told me that the kids were not using their brain very well and that he would have looked at the wolf's whole body, not just his paws, and then he would not have let him in.

After quiet time today Brother, Baby and I decorated some of our snowflakes with glitter glue. I was feeling a tad guilty because it wasn't a very messy art project. But then the glue just squirted out in lumps, and the kids had to spread it out with their fingers. So, there was a little bit of mess. I'd like to get some plain old glitter for a project later in the year. I try not to use things like plastic, or glitter in most of our art, but every once in a while I like to let my hair down. The kids had a lot of fun, and Baby was very proud of his decorations when he showed them to Daddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment